Goal.com is reporting that Chelsea are looking to buy Landon Donovan this summer. The Blues will most likely lose Joe Cole to Manchester United on a free transfer during the off season, and are looking to replace him with the American midfielder.
The Deseret News is reporting that US U-17 starlet Luis Gil has been traded from Kansas City to Real Salt Lake today in exchange for a 2011 second round draft pick, an international roster spot and a portion of future transfer fees if Gil is sold to an foreign club.
That didn’t take long. Everyone figured that he wouldn’t stay with the Wizards, but I think most people were betting on Seattle and the two LA clubs to win his services. Hopefully, he won’t go the Nikolas Besagno route.
U.S. Under-17 national team midfielder Luis Gil has agreed to a deal with MLS. Gil had been drawing interest from a number of high profile clubs, including Arsenal and Real Madrid. He will be allocated in a weighted lottery to be held on Monday.
I think this is a good move. It would have been great to see him go to a big club, but as we’ve seen with a number of other young Americans, it doesn’t always pan out. Hopefully, this will mean more playing time for Gil.
Lots of American transfer updates this morning, so I’m lumping them all together. I’m pulling most of this from the excellent Soccer By Ives…
• In Germany, Kicker is reporting that Ricardo Clark has signed with Eintracht Frankfurt until the end of the season, with the club having the option to extend the deal for another three years.
• An article yesterday from the Mirror claimed that Stuart Holden had been passed over by Bolton and was set to sign with Portuguese club Sporting Braga has yet to be confirmed by basically anyone (shocker). And now the Telegraph quotes Bolton boss Owen Coyle saying that Holden could still sign for Bolton. Does this mean that the whole Sporting Braga thing that popped up out of nowhere was completely made up? It wouldn’t surprise me.
• Carlos Bocanegra’s loan to St. Etienne could turn out to be a sale because Rennes have already loaned out the maximum number of players.
• There are rumors of Benny Feilhaber drawing interest interest from clubs in Spain.
• Jemal Johnson is heading to Stockport County on loan, after struggling for time at MK Dons.
Filed under: Transfer News | Tagged: Benny Feilhaber, bolton, Carlos Bocanegra, eintracht frankfurt, jemal johnson, mk dons, rennes, ricardo clark, saint etienne, sporting braga, stockport county, Stuart Holden | Leave a comment »